CAREGIVING IS EVERYBODY'S BUSINESS
You’ll thoroughly learn the ten fundamental competencies for overall effective Caregiving. Even though the primary focus of the course is on the adult-child/aging-parent relationship, the Caregiving principles taught in this course are “right on” for work with maturing adults in any setting: caregiving in Religious communities, families & couples, health and rehab centers, and elder residences.
Learn the most effective spiritual techniques for dealing with the God-ordained, yet potentially contorting love-task of caregiving. Most of us will eventually face elder caregiving responsibilities of sizable proportions. Every church, every religious community, and every church-sponsored organization that serves maturing adults needs to offer regular educational experiences and ongoing support groups for caregiving and caregivers!
Caregivers need to know that the caregiving role is a ministry; that the opportunity for spiritual growth through caregiving is mammoth ... if we can remain open to it. Without the spiritual dimension, the caregiving role can become overwhelming, relentless in its demands, placing great stress on the caregivers, and contorting the caregiving relationship. Such a scenario only creates, guilt, sadness, anger, frustration, irritation, loneliness, and eventually ... sickness.
The course is constructed around the ten fundamental principles for effective caregiving, these are:
- Understand that you cannot honor elders by dishonoring yourself.
- Understand the real needs of elders.
- Develop a balanced Quality relationship with elders, not a Quantity relationship.
- Recognize that there are very few "right" ways or "wrong" ways in caring for elders.
- Establish boundaries with elders so you can love and honor them as completely as possible.
- Recognize that simple and direct communication is your strongest caregiving tool.
- Perceive that caregiving offers you many, many opportunities for profound personal insight.
- Learn that letting-go, is your most valuable ally.
- Help elders tell their life story.
- Realize completely that you are never alone in your caregiving; God is always there with you.
Course 107 is one of 12 courses that make-up the JOHNSON Institute curriculum in Spiritual Gerontology and Maturing Adult Faith Formation, culminating in student's earning their Professional Certificate in Spiritual Gerontology (PCSG).
This course may be taken anytime in a self-study format.
Tuition: $199 Materials: $10